Saturday 15 October 2011

Australian actor Jason Donovan: "I've always believed in the Queen as head of state"

The Queen of Australia held a reception ahead of her 11-day day tour Down Under, which begins on 19th October and will see her open a meeting of Commonwealth leaders.

The Queen meets actor, Hugh Jackman, in the White Drawing Room at Buckingham Palace before a reception for members of the Australian community living in the UK in advance of the Royal Tour to Australia, London, 13th October 2011.

According to The Daily Telegraph X-Men star Hugh Jackman was asked what reception the Queen will get when she flies to Canberra. He replied:
"They love her there, the only issue I know is she cannot make every city.

"Even the republicans - the ones in Australia who want to see Australia move on - still have great respect and love for the queen. I've never ever heard anyone say anything other.

"I did say 'have a great trip to Australia' and she said 'thank you, I'm excited about it'."
According to The Australian, Jackman expressed an admiration for the royal family which he said is representative of most Australians:
"Even the republicans still have great respect and love for the queen. I've never ever heard anyone say anything other."
Another guest at the royal reception was Australian actor Jason Donovan, who has lived in Britain for almost 20 years, said:
"I'm very proud of my Australian roots, I've always been firm about that. When you're away from home you appreciate it a bit more, that's the special connection I have.

"I have to say I've always believed in the Queen as head of state, I don't know whether there's a better system."
It will surprise no one that none of these quotes could be found in The Age's article. However, Fairfax correspondent Karen Kissane admitted:
Britons delicately inquired of Australians as to the warmth of the welcome the royal couple might receive. They were assured that the republican tide was out at the moment.
For once The Age got it right.



No comments: