Monday 9 February 2009

The Queen of Australia shocked by the devastating bushfires

Queen Elizabeth, The Queen of Australia, has expressed shock at the devastating bushfires that have torn through southern Australia and offered her condolences to the families of those who have been killed.

"I was shocked and saddened to learn of the terrible toll being exacted by the fires this weekend," the Queen said in a statement released on Sunday, which was published by The Age as well as The HeraldSun.

"I send my heartfelt condolences to the families of all those who have died and my deep sympathy to the many that have lost their homes in this disaster.

"On so dreadful an occasion as this for Australia, the firefighters and other emergency services have been making extraordinary efforts to contain the situation and tend to those who have been injured.

"Please also convey to them my renewed admiration for all that they are doing."


On Her Majesty's new website is this message to Her Australian people

The Queen's message following the fires in Australia

8 February 2009

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN

I was shocked and saddened to learn of the terrible toll being exacted by the fires this weekend. I send my heartfelt condolences to the families of all those who have died and my deep sympathy to the many who have lost their homes in this disaster.

On so dreadful an occasion as this for Australia, the firefighters and other emergency services have been making extraordinary efforts to contain the situation and tend to those who have been injured. Please also convey to them my renewed admiration for all that they are doing.

ELIZABETH R

No comments: